Skip to content
WHAT YOU NEED:
For the sauce:
- 1 Tbsp Silver Hill Duck Fat
- 3 cm ginger cut into matchsticks
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 star anise
- 125ml mirin (can be found in Asian stores or supermarkets)
- 60ml soy sauce
- 80ml red wine
- 250ml chicken stock
- 50g soft brown sugar
For the main dish:
- 2 x 2 pack of Silver Hill Confit Duck Legs
- 1 Tbsp Chinese 5 Spice
- 3 Tbsp Silver Hill Duck Fat
- 500g potatoes peeled and chopped
- Red chilli finely chopped
- 3 spring onion, sliced n the diagonal
- Mixed leaves
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Start with the sauce. Add duck fat to the pan and gently sauté ginger and garlic for 1 minute. Add star anise, mirin, soy sauce, red wine, chicken stock and brown sugar. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 4-6 minutes until the sauce has reduced down by half and becomes thick.
- Place the confit duck legs into an oven dish. Season the duck with Chinese 5 spice making sure it has spread evenly over each leg. Then pour over the sauce.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Place chopped potatoes into a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for approx. 6-7 minutes until slightly soft.
- Heat a frying pan and add duck fat, add the potatoes and fry until crispy around the edges. Season the potatoes with some seat salt while they are frying. Once crispy remove from the pan and set aside.
- Remove the duck from the oven and serve with fried potatoes. Garnish with some chilli and spring onion and serve with some fresh mixed leaves.